- Why Is Content Important for SEO?
- Key Characteristics to Keep in Mind When Generating Content
- Steps to Take to Ensure an Effective Content Creation Process
Content marketing is an essential component of an effective search engine optimization (SEO) strategy. Quality and relevant content helps to attract organic traffic to your website, increase brand awareness, and help you rank higher on search engine results pages. There are several characteristics to keep in mind when generating content and several steps you can take to ensure your creation of content process is as effective as possible.
Why Is Content Important for SEO?
Image via Unsplash by austindistel
High-quality content is a major factor in successful SEO and content marketing. Without relevant and quality content, you stand the chance of lower rankings on search engine results pages (SERPs) and missing valuable organic traffic to your website. The benefits of quality content creation include:
- Increased click rates by users
- Better opportunities to generate backlinks from high-quality sources
- Improved ability to incorporate quality keywords into your content
- Improved user experience
- Increased likelihood that search engines like Google will view your website as an authority
- More lead generation, since good content marketing can bring in as much as three times the leads as traditional marketing
- Increased online sales
Key Characteristics to Keep in Mind When Generating Content
There are several characteristics your content should have in order to be effective. These characteristics include:
- Targeted — Before you create content, you must first know who you want to attract with that content. The better you understand your target audience, the more targeted and effective your content marketing will be.
- Quality — Quality content is key to ensuring your content is recognized by Google and other search engines as authoritative and that users find value in your content. There is unlimited information available on the internet, so setting yourself apart from your competition is a matter of making sure your content is of the highest quality possible and provides users with valuable information. This fosters trust among users and can boost your rankings on SERPs.
- Relevance — Relevance is another important component of effective content creation. You can have the highest-quality content on the internet, but if it’s not relevant to your ideal audience, you won’t attract the consumers you want. The more relevant your content is to the needs of your target audience, the more likely that audience is to find your website and trust your company enough to ultimately purchase your products or services.
- Shareability — The more shareable your content is, the more likely users are to spread your content around the web. For example, if you’re a dog grooming company and post an educational and compelling blog on why dog owners shouldn’t groom their dogs at home, users are more likely to share this content in relevant spaces online, such as social media sites. This will draw in new customers to your website and likely increase conversion rates.
- Competitive — It’s not enough to simply write an article on a topic that your competitor ranks highly for. Your content must also be competitive and offer information and insight that your competitors’ content lacks.
Steps to Take to Ensure an Effective Content Creation Process
The following are steps you can take to create effective content to support your SEO marketing strategy:
- Perform keyword research — The first step in being able to create effective content is to determine the best keywords to incorporate into your content to encourage higher rankings and organic traffic. There are several keyword tools you can use, or you can simply type in your target keywords into a search engine and look at the auto-fill queries that come up. You should also look at the related searches area on SERPs. Create a list of the most relevant keywords for your website.
- Brainstorm content ideas — Once you have a solid keyword list, it’s then time to brainstorm content ideas related to those keywords. Consider topics that are most relevant to your target audience and that directly relate to your company. Places to look for inspiration include your competitors’ websites, current industry trends, and related SERPs searches.
- Consider areas that your content could succeed in — You don’t want to simply rewrite articles that are doing well for your competitors. Rather, try to identify common areas that need more content, such as those in relation to customer education, product information, relevant blog posts, and other areas where your customers would benefit.
- Choose the content you’ll create — There are several types of content you can create to support your SEO marketing efforts. Common types of content include emails, blog posts, webpages, white papers, eBooks, infographics, and case studies. Consider the best types of content to reach your target audience and use this as a guide when deciding what type of content you’ll produce.
- Create and publish content — Once you’ve determined the keywords, content ideas, and types of content you’re going to create, it’s time to actually write the content and publish it. Be sure to edit your content and check that the most important keywords are used several times throughout your content. You may also want to create a publishing schedule to ensure you’re regularly posting quality content to continuously attract new customers and keep your website relevant.
- Share your content — You’ll always want to share your content on as many other platforms as possible. Social media is a great place to share your content. Another good way to share content is through back linking, which entails getting another authoritative website to include links to your webpages in their own content.
- Track content performance — Finally, you’ll want to regularly analyze your content’s performance. Factors to consider when assessing how well your content is performing include page views, organic traffic, conversion rates, bounce rates, audience growth, and engagement rates.
Taking time to ensure an effective content creation process will support your company’s SEO marketing goals and increase organic traffic and conversion rates.